Behind The Scoop: An inside look at Genesis' lending business
May 9, 2019, 2:48AM EDT · 6 min read
- Moro provided an update to outstanding loan book figures published in the Q1 lending snapshot stating they grew by more than 40% in the first three weeks of April (vs. BTC which saw a +25% move during that time) to over $250 million in loans
- $250m worth of outstanding loans gives it an estimated 2/3 share of the total outstanding crypto loan pie
- Genesis has seen its total USD value of borrows increase 35% QoQ in 1Q19, vs. lending protocols which saw a ~20% decline; Genesis total borrow volumes were almost an order of magnitude greater than all of borrows on lending protocols in 1Q19
- Moro expressed wariness over new entrants dipping too far down the credit box in pricing for risk in order to drive higher volumes
- Genesis Capital is close to “full” in how many clients they expect to do business with, at 75 – 100 borrowers
- Moro is fascinated by the experiment of open lending protocols, but views it as a retail solution rather than institutional
We summarize what we learned from our latest episode of The Scoop with Michael Moro, CEO of Genesis Trading, and profile some of the relative metrics within its lending business.
Join The Block Research to
Unlock this Article
If you want to know more about what you get with a Membership, or you need help convincing your manager, we got you covered. You can find the details and learn more about the benefits by clicking the link below.