March by the numbers: A look at crypto exchange volumes, open interest, and miner revenue
April 1, 2021, 9:38AM EDT · 6 min read
- Several metrics recorded record numbers in March. In all cases, spot and derivatives volume for Q1 2021 surpassed the total 2020 volume.
- Total adjusted on-chain volume saw a slight decline of 2.2% to $577.2 billion in March.
- Adjusted on-chain volume of stablecoins plateaued at an all-time high of $384.3 billion in March.
- Centralized exchange spot trading volumes decreased by 7.8% to $1.06 trillion in March.
- Besides Binance, FTX was one of the only major exchanges to increase its spot market share in March.
LMAX Digital is the industry leading institutional crypto exchange and full custodian solution. We deliver the optimal combination of deep institutional liquidity and proven, trusted LMAX Group FX trading technology.
The LMAX Digital central limit order book model ensures complete price transparency and efficient market structure, while our technology offers banks and financial institutions robust, familiar trading infrastructure that enables precise, consistent execution.
- LMAX Digital current ADV $2bn – ATH $4.4bn (23 February 2021)
- Central limit order book – streaming institutional limit order liquidity
- Spot BTC, ETH, LTC, BCH; all paired against USD, EUR & JPY
- Connectivity: cross connect at Equinix LD4 or over the internet
- Access: LMAX FIX 4.2/4.4, API, ITCH, web GUI & mobile
- Ultra-low latency (<180μs), precise, consistent execution
- High throughput >100,000 messages/second
- Full custodian solution: offline multi-sig. cold wallets & vault storage
- Regulated, transparent, secure trading environment with 100% uptime
LMAX Digital: secure, liquid, trusted, trading & custodial services.