The ties that bind? Coinbase's listing of 0x draws scrutiny given the exchange's connections to a VC firm promising 'asymmetric info'
October 22, 2018, 6:48PM EDT · 6 min read
- The Block has identified potential conflicts between Coinbase and investing firm Scalar Capital
- Scalar Capital, according to extensive investigating, has ties to both 0x and Coinbase
- The founders of Scalar, which is advised by Coinbase engineer Maksim Stepanenko, invested in 0x’s token sale prior to Coinbase listing the token
- Scalar, in a pitch deck obtained by The Block, promised “asymmetric info” to potential investors
- Market experts say these relationships would be looked at with more scrutiny in traditional U.S. equity markets
Coinbase, the digital asset exchange, has stood out as a trustworthy marketplace among a crowded field of venues. It even calls itself “the most-trusted brand in the space” in its marketing materials. That trust has translated into more than 25 million users, according to some estimates, and a potential $8 billion valuation. Still, the Coinbase […]
Subscribe to The Block to
Unlock this Feature
Choose Your Plan
If you want to know more about what you get with a Membership, or you need help convincing your manager, we got you covered. You can find the details and learn more about the benefits by clicking the link below.