- The total number of unique bitcoin futures traders has come back down to around 40 accounts since CBOE halted its product
- There currently isn’t any sell-side/bank representation in making markets for bitcoin futures, and only four asset managers/institutional investors have ever registered as a reportable trader in the report.
- Of the outstanding contracts that are long, hedge funds currently have by far the greatest outstanding notional value, now north of $100 million
- However, as of this past week, hedge funds have now flipped to a more neutral net positioning, while Other traders are significantly net short (80/20)
- Given the low number of unique traders within this market, the concentration of net exposure within the 4 largest traders is quite high. Currently the top 4 long traders make up 40% of net long exposure and the top 4 largest short traders make up close to 60% of net short exposure
Fresh off CME Group’s announcement last week that its bitcoin futures product in May had its best month since the product first launched in late 2017 (record levels in both open interest and volume), we decided to analyze the CFTC’s Commitment of Traders (COT) report to unpack who is driving the growth in open interest, and compare how traders are currently positioning themselves (long/short) relative to historical net exposure.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- [ANNUAL MEMBERS] A unique community Slack conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].