- The Block analyzed 48 cryptocurrency exchanges, focusing on monthly traffic over the past six months (ranging from November 2018 to April 2019)
- There were nearly 800 million cryptocurrency exchange website visits in that time period
- The Block compared the number of website visits to trading volume across exchanges to identify suspects that participate in faking trading volume, as indicated by disproportionately high volume relative to website visits
- The exchanges that have by far the highest volume per website visit, and which are likely engaging in significant volume faking are Coineal, Fatbtc, BW, BitMax, LBank, DOBI Exchange, Bit-Z, DigiFinex, Idcm, DragonEX, ZB, CoinTiger, IDAX, Bibox, CoinBene, BitForex, Bithumb, Negocie Coins, Liquid and OKEx
- On the other hand, Indodax, BX Thailand, Luno, CEX.IO, Zaif, and KuCoin do not appear to be faking any volume unless they are also engaging in faking traffic
- Over the past six months, the total reported trading volume was $1.96 trillion, of which only $272.5 billion appears to be real trading volume on non-volume faking exchanges
- About 86% of the trading volume looks to be fake with 65% of that total real volume originating on Binance and Bitfinex, both of which have virtually no regulatory oversight
Bitwise released a 104-page white paper on Friday, which examined exchanges for fake volume, and found that roughly 95% of reported trading volume in bitcoin is fake or non-economic in nature. Bitwise used screen scrapers to collect live trading data from over 80 exchanges for a period of several months. The only 10 exchanges that passed Bitwise’s tests are Binance, Bitfinex, Coinbase, Kraken, Bitstamp, bitFlyer, Gemini, itBit, Bittrex, and Poloniex.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- [ANNUAL MEMBERS] A unique community Slack conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].