- Circle announced this week that it laid off 30 employees in “response to new market conditions, most importantly, an increasingly restrictive regulatory climate in the United States”
- Poloniex, a cryptocurrency exchange that Circle acquired in February 2018 for $400 million, announced on Friday that it will “geofence” nine tokens from U.S. customers due to regulatory uncertainty
- While the regulatory climate in the U.S. certainly played a part in the layoffs, there is more to the story than Allaire is letting on
- Circle’s lower-than-expected OTC business, Poloniex’s waning relevancy as well as issues with raising more capital all likely contributed to the decision
Circle announced this week that it laid off 30 employees from finance and product departments representing approximately 10% of its total staff. Jeremy Allaire, co-founder and CEO of Circle, said the layoffs are an attempt to cut costs in “response to new market conditions, most importantly, an increasingly restrictive regulatory climate in the United States.” He added that Circle “remains strong and healthy” and that it will continue working with jurisdictions “that offer forward-looking policies regulating digital asset businesses.” A closer examination of the numbers, however, puts into question the fortitude of Allaire’s assertion that the business is strong.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].