- Coin Days Destroyed is a metric that gives more weight to bitcoin transactions based on how long they’ve been held
- It is calculated by taking the number of bitcoins in a transaction and multiplying by the number of days since those coins were last spent
- A transaction of 10 bitcoins that were received a week ago destroys 70 Coin Days (10BTC * 7 days/week)
History of Coin Days Destroyed
The concept of Coin Days Destroyed (CDD) was introduced in a 2011 Bitcoin Forum thread by user “ByteCoin” as an alternative to transaction volume. The logic behind the proposal was that CDD was a more appropriate measure of the economic activity in Bitcoin.
Instead of measuring the transaction volume, which can be manipulated by one individual moving the same coins back and forth multiple times, CDD gives more weight to coins that have captured more time prior to being moved.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- Coming Soon: A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].