- Binance, the largest cryptocurrency exchange in terms of volume, suffered the sixth largest hack in history, in which $41.2 million was stolen
- Binance’s security system was bypassed by structuring the transaction in a way that didn’t trigger any safeguards
- Considering that Binance brought in $78 million in profits in Q1, it will take approximately 47 days for Binance to make up what it lost in the hack
- The all-time total of funds stolen from exchanges surpassed $1.35 billion with the Binance hack
Binance, the largest cryptocurrency exchange in terms of volume, was hacked for the first time yesterday to the tune of $41.2 million stolen. Approximately 7,070 BTC was moved from Binance’s hot wallet at 5:17pm UTC in a single transaction.
Shortly after the transaction took place, industry participants started speculating that it could have been a hack since it was the tenth-largest transaction ever coming from Binance’s hot wallet, while most of the other larger transactions came at the height of the bull market in late 2017 and early 2018.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- [ANNUAL MEMBERS] A unique community Slack conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].