- With the recent hack of Bithumb, the all-time total stolen from cryptocurrency exchanges has surpassed $1.3 billion
- Even though the number of hacked exchanges has stayed relatively the same every year, approximately 61% of the thefts were in 2018 alone
- The 10 largest hacks comprise 96.6% of the total stolen amount while the three largest (Coincheck, Mt. Gox and BitGrail) comprise 78.5% of the total
The amount stolen from cryptocurrency exchanges continues to increase sharply, last week surpassing an all-time total of $1.3 billion, according to The Block’s research.
The ecosystem’s largest weakness are the centralized institutions that hold users’ private keys. As the price of cryptocurrencies grew, large wallets controlled by exchanges became a honeypot for hackers.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- Coming Soon: A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].