- Sidechains simply enable users to send bitcoins to other blockchains to use and return them when finished
- Sidechains can address trade-offs between cost and security, allow for experimentation on public blockchains, and open up use-cases for new audiences like enterprise customers
- While there are dozens of different sidechain projects in development and many that were historically launched (and abandoned), we detail some of the most compelling offerings
A Historical Overview of Sidechains
Sidechain experiments have been around for years, dating back to 2012 and 2013-era experiments proposed on BitcoinTalk to enable “BTC-backed alternative cryptocurrencies” or ideas like Fidelity-bonded ledgers proposed by Peter Todd on the bitcoin-development mailing list. A number of different developments came to head and the current iteration of sidechains were advanced in a 2014 paper Enabling Blockchain Innovations with Pegged Sidechains written by Blockstream developers.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- Coming Soon: A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].