- What are the limits of blockchain immutability? Bitcoin Satoshi’s Vision, a 2018 fork of Bitcoin Cash (itself a 2017 fork of Bitcoin), is in the process of testing the limits of social consensus around what information can go on public blockchains.
Child Pornography via OP_RETURNs
A major change in the Craig Wright / Faketoshi-led project is in the use of
OP_RETURN, an old transaction type that allows users to store data on the Bitcoin blockchain. In a previous discussion of OP_RETURN, The Block’s Steven Zheng discussed some of these uses:
Bitcoin enables users and businesses to embed 80 bytes of arbitrary data into its blockchain through OP_RETURN transactions … The activation of OP_RETURN led to creative uses on Bitcoin.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Our team of researchers, data analysts and journalists uncover the stories, insights and data that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media.
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- Access to a unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people