- There are currently 716k bitcoin (4% of circulation), 7M ether (7% of circulation) and 1.2B tether (64% of circulation) held in the publicly known wallets of crypto exchanges
- In the last three months, exchange wallet balances decreased by 6% for both bitcoin and ether but by 40% for tether
- The decrease could indicate either lower levels of speculation or that customers are withdrawing their cryptocurrencies to their own wallets
- Out of the tracked exchanges, Binance, currently stores the largest amount of crypto holdings, amounting to more than $1.5 billion just from bitcoin, ether and tether holdings combined
There are currently approximately 716,000 bitcoins (4.1% of circulation), 7 million ether (6.8% of circulation) and 1.2 billion tether (63.5% of circulation) held in the publicly known wallets of crypto exchanges according to research conducted by The Block (see the table). It’s important to note that:
- the included exchanges could control even more wallets, which are not publicly known
- some major exchanges including Coinbase and BitMEX, which hold significant amounts of cryptocurrencies on behalf of customers, do not have publicly known wallets so they are not included in this summary
Coinbase said that it migrated as much as 5% of bitcoin in circulation and 8% of all ethereum in December due to the scheduled wallet maintenance.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- Research: MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Industry Overview: Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Investigative Reporting: Blockchain Terminal
- Project Analysis: The growth of the Lightning Network
- Company Digests: The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Op-ed: Money 2.0 Stuff
- Token Analysis: So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Profiles: Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
- Coming Soon: A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people
If you would like to learn more, please reach out to [email protected].