- The Ethereum Core Development meeting pushed forward an ASIC-resistant Ethereum proposal, “ProgPoW,” on Friday
- ProgPoW aims to curb the commercial ASIC chip arms race by minimizing the marginal benefit of mining with ASICs vs GPUs
- According to ProgPoW contributer, new Ethereum-focused ASIC chips set to launch this year could widen reward benefit to ~2x that of GPU devices; ProgPoW reduces that benefit to 1.1 – 1.2x
- The timeline for ProgPoW implementation is uncertain, with client teams set to explore realistic implementation schedules for the next development call
Friday’s Ethereum Core Dev Meeting agenda discussed the approval of a proposal to update the current Ethereum hashing algorithm. The proposal, referred to as ProgPoW, aims to reduce the incentive to mine ETH with ASICs — a specialized mining chip — by optimizing GPU efficiency and minimizing the gap between ASICs.
Enter The Block Genesis
Information your competitors wish they had.
The Block Genesis consists of our most in-depth, timely and impactful pieces, giving you an informational edge over the entire financial and technology industry. Genesis members get exclusive access to the stories that the mainstream media doesn’t understand and that remains undiscovered and buried amid the noise of social media. On a daily basis, The Block Genesis will feature the best research, investigative reporting, analysis, company digests, op-eds, and interviews. The Block Genesis is the first and last word on the world of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain.
Below you’ll find a selection of articles exclusively for Genesis members.
- MimbleWimble: History, Technology, and the Mining Industry
- Block by Block – Crypto Lending
- Blockchain Terminal
- The growth of the Lightning Network
- The inside story of Coinbase internal power struggle
- Money 2.0 Stuff
- So, is Binance Coin actually worth anything
- Cathie Wood on The Block
Additionally, as a Genesis member, you’ll get exclusive access to:
- In-depth project, protocol, personal and company reports
- Crypto commentary by leading experts to review the week’s key happenings
Coming Soon: A unique community conversation, led by The Block team, which is better than Crypto Twitter, Telegram or Slack
- No trolls and less noise than Crypto Twitter
- Less groupthink than your Telegram or Slack
- Special events and deals involving crypto’s best products and people